Plant based oils have been used by ancient cultures for millennia to nourish the face and body. Ancient Egyptians favoured olive, sesame and fenugreek oils, the Romans lathered their bodies with almond oil and in Italy in the 1600's, avocado and macadamia oils were combined to make a highly sought after body oil.
Contrary to common belief, a well formulated body oil deeply moisturisers and hydrates, without leaving behind a greasy residue. While developing our body and bath oil, we understood that for a body oil to enhance your wellbeing and nourish your skin, it absolutely had to be plant-based. Furthermore, it could only contain natural ingredients, promoting overall skin health.
What makes a body oil different to a lotion?
Body creams and lotions are a mixture of oils/waxes and water held together by emulsifiers, preservatives and stabilisers. An emulsifier is usually a lab-manufactured chemical. Some more recent ones are plant-based, but many, including one called “emulsifying wax” are ethoxylated, a process that uses and sheds some very unhealthy chemicals like ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane.
Lotions generally consist of about 65% water. This water must be preserved to prevent the growth of bacteria and mould. While preservatives in natural beauty products are improving, no preservative system is perfect, and some are allergenic.
Most lotions contain “fragrance”, which is an ingredient that can contain hundreds of ingredients, without disclosing the specifics. Many fragrance ingredients are allergenic, and some contain phthalates to stabilise the scent.
Unlike creams and lotions, most body oils consist of pure, unadulterated plant oils bursting with antioxidants, vitamins and essential fatty acids to nourish and balance the skin.
Here are the top 5 benefits of using a plant based body oil:
- Smooth and soften - Because body oils consist of oils, they closely resemble the natural lipids in our skin making them easily absorbed. These lipids help to fill the gaps between our skin cells caused by dryness or flaking, creating a smoother surface. They leave your skin feeling velvet like without the tacky residue often experienced with lotions and creams.
- Tackle dry and dehydrated skin - Body oils effectively relieve dry, scaly skin caused by long hot showers, environmental factors and harsh cleansers. Unlike body lotions, body oils penetrate deeper into the skin’s surface, restoring and protecting the skin’s natural lipid barrier.
- Free of toxins - Most body oils consist of only natural ingredients and they don't require any synthetic preservatives or binding agents due to the absence of water. They are generally scented with pure essential oils rather than synthetic fragrances. Our body and bath oil contains only carrier oils, essential oils, and vitamin E.
- Protect and repair the skin - Natural plant derived oils, such as jojoba, baobab and avocado oils, found in our body and bath oil, can protect the skin against environmental aggressors, whilst also renewing damaged cells and preventing aging. They can also help to fade scars and the appearance of stretch marks, and calm irritated skin.
- Enjoy a natural fragrance - The scent of our body and bath oil is as good as nature itself with the pure essential oils of vetiver, sandalwood, neroli, geranium and patchouli. Enjoy the delicious subtle, yet lingering aroma throughout the day.
How to use our body and bath oil
- For best results apply to moist skin, preferably after showering, to optimise the intake of the oils. Pat your skin down, but keep it slightly damp to maximise the moisture gained from your bath. Massage well into entire body.
- For an extra little indulgence, add a few pumps to your bath to make your bath water smell divine. This will further relax and calm the nervous system, leaving your skin feeling revitalised, deep moisturised and silky smooth.
- Our body and bath oil also works beautifully as an after-sun care product.